How it works:
The Utah Legislature established public Education Online in the 2011 General Session. The program enables eligible students to earn high school graduation credit through the completion of publicly funded online courses.
The purposes of Public Education Online program are to:
- Provide students with access to online learning regardless of where students attend school.
- Provide high quality learning options for students regardless of language, residence, family income, or special needs.
- Provide online learning options to allow students to acquire the knowledge and technology skills necessary in a digital world.
- Utilize the power and scalability of technology to customize education so that students may learn in their own style preference and at their own pace.
- Utilize technology to remove the constraints of traditional classroom learning, allowing students to access learning virtually at any time and in any place and give students the flexibility to take advantage of their peak learning time.
- Provide personalized learning where students can spend as little or as much time as they need to master the material.
- Provide greater access to self-paced programs enabling high-achieving students to accelerate academically, while struggling students may have additional time and help to gain competency.
- Allow students to customize their schedule to better meet their academic goals.
- Provide quality learning options to better prepare students for post-secondary education and vocational or career opportunities.
- Allow students to have an individualized educational experience.
Who is eligible:
You are eligible to participate in Public Education Online if you are in grades 9-12 and enrolled in a Utah public school. For the 2011-2012 school year, you may enroll in up to two credits in online courses (except for early graduation - see below). You may earn no more credits in a semester than the number of credits you may earn by taking a full course load during the regular school day at your high school classroom.
How to register:
You should begin by reviewing the course catalog
on this website. Determine which courses you are interested in taking online. Discuss with your school counselor your interest in taking the course and how this course will fit into your Student Education and Occupation Plan (SEOP). You may fill out the application form found here
to prepare for your meeting with your school counselor.
Because your parent(s) or guardian(s) will be required to approve your enrollment in an online course, you should plan on having them with you when you meet with your school counselor.
Your school counselor should:
- In conjunction with you and your parent or legal guardian, prepare and implement a student education/occupation plan (SEOP).
- Assist you in scheduling courses in accordance with your SEOP, graduation requirements and post-secondary plan.
If you plan to take online courses, your school counselor will fill out the necessary forms and process your request. Once this process is complete, you will be ready to begin your online classes. The district online education program will contact you to assist you in enrolling.
Early Graduation Options:
You may be eligible to earn more credits in a semester than the number of credits you may earn by taking a full course load during the regular school day in your high school, if you intend to complete high school graduation requirements and exit high school early in accordance with your education/occupation plan (SEOP).
This online school is a member of the Utah Education Online partnership
If you have any questions feel free to contact us at our Salt Lake Office:
Utah Education Online
1560 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84115